Thursday, October 4, 2012

It's Time To Wake Up And Start Respecting Each Other

 There has been a large buzz in the media lately about a news anchor who responded on air to an email she received. I was alarmed by how many people said she should have just kept her mouth shut and not been bothered. Why shouldn't she speak out against something that I consider to be an attack? If he has the right to make the comments she has a right to respond. This is the age of keyboard warriors who feel like they can say whatever they want to people without consequence. The part that scares me is that a lot of women were agreeing with this guy. What the hell ladies? So much for fighting against the objectification of women. That's taking a couple steps back when you agree that this woman isn't doing her job right because she doesn't look like a model.

I am so unbelievably sick of people that feel like they have the right to attack people because they are not shaped like barbie. When was the last time you heard a large person say "Look at that bitch over there eating a salad. That's so gross I'm gonna walk right over there and say something. What a disservice to children and society. This is what's wrong with the world today. I bet she goes to the gym too. UGH!". You've never heard that? Huh, fancy that, neither have I. 

 I would like to know why it bothers some people so much that not everyone is a size 2? What is so bad about accepting people as they are? I've  noticed that the same people who don't accept other people as is usually have an excuse as to why they don't.This is one of my favorites : I'm just worried about their health- Oh bitch please, no you're not. It makes you feel better to be condescending.  I guess I just don't understand why people are focused on waist size when there are SO many more issues for us to be putting our effort in to.

I would like to take a minute and address two of the stereotypes I've heard so many times. 1) You're not thin therefore you are lazy- WRONG! That is not the case for everyone. I could work out until the cows come home and I will never be skinny. I run around with my son who is going to be 2 in January (how is THAT not active?), I care for my 2& 1/2 month old daughter all day every day, I have to make sure the house is clean and make sure everything runs smoothly. I don't think that counts as lazy. Plus not every thin person is super active.
2) Everyone can make time for the gym- Wrong again. Let me throw you a little example from my life. I have two children under the age of two and my husband works about 55 hours a week. Even when he is home I can't just ditch him with the kids. He worked a long day, how would that even be remotely fair? We divide the work so neither one of us burns out or goes nuts.

All arguments aside, I would like to know what is so offensive about a woman not being ashamed of her body no matter the size. I'm not ashamed of my body. I'm not ashamed of my size. The person who matters, other than myself, is my husband. He loves me, he is attracted to me, he supports me, and he's not ashamed of me. Why can't we show support for each other or keep our mouths shut? The nastiness is taxing and I'm just about done with it.

 All shapes and sizes are beautiful. If it doesn't happen to be your preference then you should be respectful of other people and move on without being a jackass. Just because you don't like how someone looks doesn't mean you get a free pass to attack them and completely disregard their feelings. It's time we all start acting like the adults that we claim to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment