Sunday, June 24, 2012

I Think My Little Heart Melted A Smidge Today

Beautiful doe at the sanctuary
 If you've read some of my other blogs you may have noticed that they tend to be on the ranty or sarcastic side. Today is different though. Today my faith in humanity was restored a little.


The hubby and I decided to take our son to an animal sanctuary today. We've been going to this place a couple times a season for the last couple years. It's off the beaten path. They don't really go out of their way to advertise or ask you for money. They take in all sorts of animals and nurse them back to health if it's needed. The atmosphere is so relaxed and it's just an overall great experience every time we go. You can really tell that the people who own it really love the animals and give them all that they can. If you couldn't tell I'm very fond of this place.


A lion sleeping in the heat
On top of all the things that make me feel all warm and fuzzy about this place I saw something that absolutely melted my heart. The founder is regularly out and about and will sometimes do demonstrations to educate the kids that are around the park at any given time. Today I saw him take a tortoise out of his little enclosure so I a mentally handicapped boy in a wheelchair could get an up close look at him and actually pet the tortoise. Pictures were taken of the boy and the tortoise and I don't know if that boy could have been any happier. 


That one action made that boys day and mine as well. The founder went above and beyond to make sure this boy had an experience that was truly special. You really don't see many people that do honest and sweet actions anymore. He didn't do it for any benefit other than making that boy happy. That one action really moved me. I'm just glad I was fortunate enough to witness it.


Here is a link to their website. It really is an incredible place.

No comments:

Post a Comment