Sunday, August 26, 2012

An Odd Occurrence At The Fair

Since I had my daughter at the end of July I've gotten quite a bit of attention every time I bring her into public. The combination of a small infant and a Moby make me a magnet for comments. I'm usually not bothered and I actually don't mind talking to people about my daughter or the wrap and how it works. Today, however, someone crossed a line into bizarre territory.

My husband and I decided to bring the kids to the fair today. When we got there I Moby'd up and my husband put our son in the stroller. With everyone packed in we embarked on our mission of fun. After making our rounds to the craft tents and the animal stables we went to the maple shack (maple soft serve ice cream? YES!). We were then approached by an older couple. They were asking about little miss so I pulled back the Moby so they could see her. The conversation went as follows:

Husband: Aww how old is she?
Me: She's five weeks old as of yesterday.
Wife: Oh she's a little one isn't she?
Me: *smiling* Yes indeed
Husband: *looking at my son* How far apart are they?
Me: They're 18 months apart.

This is about the time the husband and wife start talking at the same time. So just imagine the chatter with the husband trying to drown out his wife...with good reason.

Husband: Oh that's good.
Wife: Oh wow, busy woman.
Me: *slightly uncomfortable chuckle*
Husband: *laughing uncomfortably as well* alright it was nice tal...
Wife: *to my husband* You stop it
Me: *no longer laughing* Ooookay

After this the husband looked mildly horrified and half walked away/ half dragged his wife into the maple shack.

Okay. Seriously, who the hell says that? First she calls me 'busy' which could either mean I have my hands full or that the hubby and I spend a ton of time in the sack. THEN she tells my husband to stop it. I wish I misunderstood what she meant but I don't think I did. It was tempting to assure her that my two pregnancies were the result of mutual want and mutual sex drive. Not my husband being a horny jerk and badgering until I gave in.

To date this is the creepiest/weirdest comment I have received from a stranger regarding my children. I don't know how the hubby sat silent during this whole exchange. Probably because it was so awkward. What's the weirdest/creepiest comment you've ever gotten from a stranger?

No comments:

Post a Comment